– 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed 1 teaspoon anise seed
– 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
– 2 scallions, finely chopped
– 1 garlic, clove, minced
– 1 large tomato, diced
– 1 – 2 jalapeño chilies, finely chopped
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
– 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
– 1 lb. peeled medium shrimp
Toast the anise seed and cumin seed on a dry, hot large sauté pan, shaking the pan constantly, until fragrant, for about 1 minute. Set aside.
Add vegetable oil, until rippling over high heat.Add the scallions and garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Add the tomato, chili and cilantro, stirring well to incorporate, cook for 3 minutes.
Add the anise seed, cumin and oregano and cook for 2 minutes longer.Add the shrimp and cook for approximately 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until pink. Adjust seasoning. Serve immediately with lime wedges.